Post and view theatre-related jobs here< List a job opportunity here >
Listings displayed with most recent postings first. Information is provided as a service to the theatre community. All information is provided by the organization seeking to fill the position listed, and any questions about a listed position should be directed to the organization that posted it.
The Youngstown Playhouse seeks a dynamic Artistic Director to oversee artistic programming as we emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic and launch our 97th Season in 2021. The Artistic Director will work in collaboration with the Executive Director and report to the Board of Directors. The successful candidate will execute the programming of the organization, upholding artistic integrity via mainstage productions, special events, and educational/engagement programs. Primary duties include assessing institutional capacity in alignment with season selections, setting creative teams and production schedules, and establishing community partnerships to maximize the impact of our mission and vision. The Artistic Director will serve as a public-facing spokesperson and advocate for the theatre to successfully position the organization for our forthcoming 100th Anniversary Season (2024).
Duties & Responsibilities
* Act as a professional, articulate, enthusiastic, and informed ambassador of The Youngstown Playhouse and surrounding community
* Ensure that programming aligns with mission, vision, and organizational resources
* Oversee season by securing performance rights, contracting creative teams, attending casting sessions, production meetings, tech rehearsals, and other production-related events
* Work with Play Selection Committee to plan and schedule programming
* Direct one production per season
* Attend first rehearsal of each production to explain organizational policies/orientation procedures, assess/address company needs, and distribute relevant materials/supplies
* Distribute and return scripts/scores prior to and at the conclusion of each run
* Fulfill royalties and licensing fees
* Work with Board and Executive Director to adhere to project and operating budgets
* Nurture and develop relationships with artists and volunteers
* Form and maintain partnerships with community/cultural organizations
* Serve as the primary face of the organization for audiences, donors, and the public via attendance at social engagements, media appearances, and special events
* Work with Education Director to ensure educational goals are met via Youth Theatre productions and ancillary programming
* Work with Box Office Manager to maintain building schedule and opening/closing procedures
* Work with Executive Director to evaluate programming in fulfillment of strategic plan
* Attend and report at Board and staff meetings
* Assist with maintaining organizational archives
* Participate in periodic professional development opportunities
* Bachelor’s degree in theatre or related fields
* Two years of experience in arts administration or directing, with a proven track record of success
* A personal practice as an artist, preferably as an actor and/or director
* Excellent leadership, communication, community building, and project management skills with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a staff and a Board of Directors
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive
* Passion for theatre and the performing arts
Part-time, not to exceed 20 hours per week, with attendance required at evening/weekend events and performances.
Starting salary between $10,000 and $15,000, commensurate with experience, to be disbursed in bi-monthly payments via direct deposit.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Youngstown Playhouse is committed to creating and sustaining an organizational culture that promotes a safe, supportive and collaborative work environment. A successful candidate will share these values. YP is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) in our hiring process, as well as in all areas of our work. BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. YP does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
About The Youngstown Playhouse
The Youngstown Playhouse is a nonprofit community theatre with a mission to present quality theatre arts performances, provide educational initiatives, and establish and maintain community partnerships while supporting and participating in the revitalization of the city of Youngstown. Since our inception in 1924, The Youngstown Playhouse has sustained a legacy of quality live performance theater in Northeast Ohio by staging innovative, unique, and accessible theatrical performances of both classic and modern productions. Located in Youngstown’s Glenwood Avenue Corridor, the Playhouse annually serves over 9,000 audience members of all ages with a full season of 10 musicals and plays complemented by workshops, readings, and concerts in its mainstage theatre (400 seats) and intimate blackbox space, The Moyer Room (75 seats). The vibrant Playhouse Youth Theatre program serves nearly 150 participants annually through classes, workshops, and fully staged productions attended by over 1,000 students. www.theyoungstownplayhouse.com