Information is provided as a service to the theatre community. All information is provided by the organization seeking to fill the position listed, and any questions about a listed position should be directed to the organization that posted it. Note: For reference purposes, postings will remain visible after their application deadline, for the remaining days of that month.
Opera Naples is a professional opera company founded in 2005 in the small but affluent community of Naples on the Gulf Coast of Southwest Florida. Its location on the sandy beaches of the Gulf of Mexico, its abundant sunshine, numerous golf courses and upscale restaurants, museums, art galleries, and shopping have established Naples as a sophisticated resort town. The area has about 370,000 inhabitants and is one of the wealthiest communities in the country with the highest concentration of millionaires per capita. During the October to April winter months, referred to as “the season,” the population booms with the arrival of part-time residents and tourists from all over the world.
Opera Naples is most active during this period. In the current season, the company presented its expanded Festival Under the Stars—including fully staged and semi-staged operas, recitals and chamber operas. The Festival may be augmented with additional grand operas, concerts, chamber works, recitals, and master classes. Each year, it manages a competitive Resident Artist program as well as an extensive outreach program into area schools, assembles and showcases a youth chorus, and stages an operetta production with young people.
The company is small and relatively young, yet under the baton and leadership of Artistic Director Maestro Ramon Tebar, it has established an enviable record for presenting stellar productions and concerts featuring international artists of the caliber of Javier Camarena, Joseph Calleja, Isabel Leonard and Ramon Vargas. The company is a member of OPERA America.
The company has an annual budget of $1.3 million which it aims to grow to $1.7 million over the next three years. Fund-raising provides approximately 70% of annual income. The prosperity of the region offers great opportunity for growth in both earned and contributed revenue. Opera Naples aspires to grow to the next budget category within OPERA America.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Board of Trustees (as does the Artistic Director).
Primary responsibilities include:
- Take overall responsibility for the five-year strategic plan
- Day-to-day operations and management of staff
- Financial oversight
- Internal and external communications
- Contracting coordination with other organizations
- Oversee all marketing activities
- Work closely with the Artistic Director to budget future seasons and to develop and maintain the company’s calendar of activities including productions
- Maximizing contributed and earned revenue
- Cultivating partnerships with other organizations in the region
- Ensuring operation of program activities.
- Enhance existing fund-raising strategies and activities
- Meet or exceed fund-raising targets
- Oversee donor database and donor communications
- Plan and coordinate grant submissions
- Collaborate with the Board and Artistic Director on planning and execution
- Create strategies to cultivate new audience and performance opportunities
- Work closely with the artistic team to manage educational activities
- Expand relationships with area schools and colleges
Facilities Management and Rentals
- Oversee operation of the Wang Opera Center
- Market the third-party use of the John and Judy Hushon Theater at the Wang Opera Center to maximize its profit potential
The ideal candidate will have senior management experience in the performing arts/cultural field and the ability to work cooperatively with the company’s current staff and volunteers, including the Board of Trustees.
Other required skills include experience in the development and management of budgets, knowledge of fund-raising, marketing, and competence in strategic problem solving. The board of directors is seeking someone who inspires enthusiasm, has a track record in major gift fund-raising from individuals and in audience development, and who is interested in growing a company over a number of years. Training in arts management is essential.
We seek a person with excellent oral and written communication skills who is willing and able to become a respected champion in the local cultural community, a motivated standard-bearer, team builder and team player. Additionally, the ideal candidate will be comfortable and adept in both private and public social and business forums as well as a skilled negotiator with a well-developed sense of tact and diplomacy.
Genovese, Vanderhoof & Associates
For additional information: www.operanaples.org, www.genovesevanderhoof.com.
Opera Naples does not discriminate against any person based on race, color, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, familial or marital status, veteran status, non-job related disability or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.