Copyright & Royalty Resources | AACT

Copyright & Royalty Resources

Online Help & Guidance
Where to go for more information

A copyrighted play usually is offered as a licensed property. If you wish to produce a play protected by copyright, you apply for a license--in essence, paying the publisher/agent (and thus the playwright) for performances of the play. These payments are referred to as "royalties," and producing a copyrighted work requires permission and/or payment of royalties. This includes not only plays and musicals, but background music used in a production or performed on stage as part of a play. This is true whether you charge admission or not, and whether you are a for-profit or not-for-profit theatre or a school.

Useful Articles on the AACT Website
Useful Articles on the Web

Online Reference Sites

Licensing & Royalty Information from Publishers

NOTE: The above is a representative sampling only, since not all publishers post details on their websites.


  • Facebook
  • AACT on Instagram
  • AACT on LinkedIn
Authorize.Net Merchant - Click to Verify Credit Card Merchant Services